Thursday, 28 November 2013

Thankful

Image borrowed from http://www.bellanaija.com/


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We in the Great White North enjoyed our Thanksgiving celebrations in October ...  but I am never one to pass up the opportunity to express gratitude, eat good food and spend time with friends and family! 

This year, our family has A LOT to be thankful for.  After 10 years of TTC through infertility, we brought home our forever baby through open adoption.  So in light of this, I'd like to draw up my bucket list of things I am thankful for.

Moonbeam.  She is the apple of my eye, my raison d'etre.  She is such a sweet little girl and is a beautiful ending to what was a very difficult 10 years.  She brings magic to my life and makes all the challenges through infertility make sense.

My family.  Without my family, our open adoption would not have worked for Apollo and I.  Prior to adopting, we consented with all members of our family that would be big players in our child's life.  We wanted to make sure that they didn't have any hang-ups with adoption and that they would love a child that came to our family this way as much as if she had through biology.  Every single person stuck by our side with unimaginable and unwavering support.  Every day since they first made their promises, they have upheld their end of the deal - to love and cherish our daughter without any barriers.  Of course we knew that we would love our child ...  but to see people we love open their hearts to our daughter makes me burst with happiness!

Aurora. For making sacrifices for Moonbeam and giving her opportunities that she wouldn't have otherwise had. For believing in us. For choosing to be a part of Moonbeam's life, even when it's effing hard.

Reflexes.  I'm proud to say that not once have I dropped our baby (I know this sounds weird, but seriously ...  she is the squirmiest, most daring little thing and at times she has nearly LEAPT out of my arms!).  She has never rolled off the couch or the bed.  She has never stuck her finger into an electrical socket or pulled a lamp down by its cord.  I am thankful for the Spidey senses I had no idea I possessed!

Coffee.  On mornings like today (when my usually perfect sleeper has been up all night causing a ruckus but is still raring to go at 6:30 a.m. ...  wtf?!!!), it is an answer to my prayers.  On afternoons when I need an excuse to get out of the house, it provides one.  And man, it just tastes so darn fantastic.  Thank you coffee (and cream and sugar) for always being there for me!

Parental Leave.  Without our country's parental leave subsidy, I would not be given 10 beautiful months at home with my daughter.  (I'm bitter that bio moms get 12 months, but that's another post!).  Although being home full-time is coming to a close in the new year, I will be forever grateful for this precious time that I have had to bond with my baby.

What are you most thankful for today?  Happy Thanksgiving!

Listening to:  Mushaboom - Feist 

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I did not realize earlier that you were from "these corners", you too. Feels nice :-) I am most thankful for my children and a certain balance I have in my life this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful that you reached out. I was sad that I'd lost touch with your other blog when it went private. It is wonderful to hear that you and moonbeam are doing well. And I'm very jealous of your 10 months off. Our system in the US is not so generous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankful to see you posting again. And thankful to be reading each of these blessings that you have (and I completely second you on the coffee!). Wishing you a wonderful holiday season

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me tear up. I'm thankful for many of the same things. And as a bio mom who is in the process of adopting #2, I second your bitterness about the leave. (Side note - this leave does not even apply to me as I live in the States.) I don't look at the leave as related to the body healing from giving birth (which I assume is the additional 2 months) but time together as a family - and family is family, however they come to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! And I am insanely jealous of your 10 months of leave!

    ReplyDelete