Saturday, 21 March 2015

Feeling better

I'm feeling calmer this weekend than I have in a lot of weekends. 

Things have been crazy over the past couple weeks.  We got yet another call two Fridays ago from the agency (call #4...  we'd been through the same rigamarole only two weeks earlier) asking if they could show our profile to an expectant couple who were 37 weeks along in their pregnancy.  We got the details, said yes, then waited for a week and a half to hear if we were chosen.

That week and a half was awful.  It's been the longest wait we've had between first hearing of a situation then finding out the results.  We had limited details of the situation, so were having a hard time even grappling with whether it was one we would say yes to in the end once all information had been gathered.  I had a lot going on in other parts of my life - community stuff, home stuff, work stuff.  Even though I was so busy (distractions are usually good), I could barely focus let alone get anything done. 

In the end, the expectant couple chose another family.  We were one of four families being shown, so we knew all along that there was only a 25% chance (or less, if you consider they have the option to choose a private direct adoption with someone outside the agency, which has happened to us before, and that they can always choose to parent themselves, which happens too).  This is the first time that we weren't the family chosen (that we know about anyway) - I knew this would probably happen at some point and didn't know how I'd feel about it.

I touched base with the agency on Tuesday morning and got the news that we weren't the selected family.  Honestly, the only thing I felt was relief.  I'm pretty surprised that this is how I felt.  I didn't even feel a little bit sad, which I still find interesting.  I found out at 10:00 a.m. and met with a client at 10:10 a.m. without missing a beat.

So now we're back in waiting limbo again, but this time I feel different.  Any other time we've been called and rattled to the bone, it's taken me at least 2 weeks to recover.  This time I feel settled.  Like it's really going to be ok.  Like even if I have to wait for a long while before another baby comes, I can handle this.  I've got one hell of a great kid already who amazes me every day and keeps my life rich and full.  Yes, another baby would be awesome.  Really, really awesome.  Yes, having this waiting/expecting part of my life over with would be a huge relief.  But for the first time in months, I'm feeling settled.  Content, as my friend Lori would say.  And for this, I am so thankful.  I need this feeling.  I've needed it for awhile.  It's been a bumpy road for the past few months and I'm looking forward to a bit of calm ...  before the next baby storm.

8 comments:

  1. You impress me to no end for how well you are weathering this rollercoaster. I too believe that it will be okay in the end. In the meantime, sending you love and wishing you many snuggle sessions with your beautiful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your feeling more at peace. As you said it's such a bumpy road, contentment in the midst of it all is a real gift. May it remain with you for the rest of this leg of your journey.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a strong woman to go this journey. It reminds me a lot of the infertility treatments where each month I would wait with anticipation for that positive test only to get a negative outcome and the cycle would start again. Climb back up the hill and wait for word. Praying that soon you'll be selected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time and again I'm impressed by how strong you are through all this. I'm sure this strength makes you a great parent for Moonbeam, and I have no doubt that when your next child finally finds you, he/she will be fortunate to have you as a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a roller coaster of emotions having been through this so many times. Hooray for finding calm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Content...that sounds like a great place to be. May your time come and when it does, let the emotions be wonderful ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this and I can't stop smiling. I'm glad you've been able to access your inner stillness even amid outer turmoil. That's truly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a crazy bunch of emotions for you. Content is a good place to be. Content to wait for the perfect child. Content to wait. You are amazing.

    Stopping in from ICLW
    #21

    ReplyDelete