| Source |
So, we're doing it again. The checklists are filled out, the medical is done, the security clearances are in the works... Yep, we're on the road to adopting another child.
It took us a long time to come this decision. Moonbeam is almost 16 months now and it's something we've been tossing around honestly since she was born. There is so much to consider when adopting a second child ... I feel like it just can't feel the same as I think it would if we were fertile and just decided that having a second baby would be nice - rolling around in the hay a bit and 2 weeks later being preggers.
Adopting a second child just feels weightier.
We lucked out big time on the adoption front in so many ways with Moonbeam. We essentially had no wait, we connected with Aurora right off the get go, there were no legal risks or even inklings that Aurora was ever going to change her mind, we were at Moonbeam's birth and we have continued to have a very open relationship with Aurora since we first met her. For our family, although the relationship and situation have not been without their growing pains, our open adoption has worked out perfectly.
Now with a second child, it feels like there are so many factors to consider. Now it's not just Apollo and I we're concerned about - it's the well-being of Moonbeam, baby-to-be, even Aurora and future birth families to consider.
For baby #2, we had to think really, really hard as to what we were open to this time as we filled out our 50+ pages of checklists. And what it came down to is that we're open to the exact same things that we were open to on the first go around.
Because here's the thing. Papers are just that - papers. The check boxes are what get your profile shown or held back when expectant families approach the agency looking to place their children for adoption. On paper, when you're going through the boxes and you look at everything in aggregate, it seems terrifying. But isolate any one of the factors and you've likely got a manageable situation.
So once again, we're wide open to what life is ready to throw at us. It's kind of scary. It's kind of exciting. I'm trying not to think about it too much, really.
I'm scared about not loving this child as much as I love Moonbeam (because Moonbeam is my absolute everything - is it possible to love another human being THIS MUCH???).
I'm scared about Moonbeam feeling rejected and not getting all the love and nurturing she deserves - but when it comes down to it, I'm more scared about the little demon we're creating as an only child (her new favourite words are "I don't want" ... like what??? She's freaking 16 months. Oh boy.).
I'm scared about how this will play out between Apollo and I - we're already at times scrabbling to keep our own relationship happy and healthy without adding the strain of a second child into the mix.
I'm scared about what sort of relationship will manifest itself with a new birthfamily and how this will impact both of our children.
But I'm excited too. I'm excited to have another baby in our lives! To see Moonbeam as a big sister, to grow our family, to experience parenthood all over again with Apollo, to get to know a new little person and share our lives with him/her.
We've still got some finishing touches to add to our dear birth parent letter and we've got one set of security clearances yet to come back. Then that's it for our final submission for baby #2 - which will then get our home study rolling. We've been taking our time with the paperwork over the past month, but now there's very little standing in the way between becoming expectant/waiting parents!
So lots going on here - we're excited, we're scared, we're blissfully pretending our lives aren't about to drastically change once again. Heading into the adoption scene a second time is way less excruciating this time around. The first time we wanted nothing more than a quick, easy placement. This time we're much more relaxed about timing ... in some ways, it would be nice to have some breathing room between babies. But we'll see what's in the cards for us. With adoption, you have to leave a lot up to fate and, shall I even dare say it? Destiny. The baby that is meant to be our child will come when it's time.
Oh goodness! I am so excited for you both! This is a huge decision, but you have experience and knowledge you didn't have before. I love that you are leaving it up to fate. That's how I feel with TTC on our own. It will happen or it won't - IVF is off the table. I wish you a smooth transition in this wait and that someone perfect comes into your lives. I can't wait to read what happens next!
ReplyDeleteI love your blog!! What a beautiful story of creating a family. Of course (as I'm coming from hopeful-luna.com) love the name moonbeam and the constellation metaphor-- just beautiful! I wish you lots of luck in this journey! Love, Luna
ReplyDeleteWow! What great news!!! I understand your reservations with this going back through this process. But I also believe that you guys do have an advantage this time as you have been parenting and have an example to show potential birth parents. That said, I know things are uncertain. Plus there's transitioning Moonbeam. Lots to think about.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and hoping for a smooth process ahead.
Such a huge step! Sending 3000 good thoughts. And you're right: it is different this time around also because you know what parenting is like vs. what you think it's like. You know what adoption is like vs. what you think it's like. You have a distraction in your current child AND you have this obstacle to pampering your emotions when you need to pamper your emotions. It's HUGE. But really good. Very happy for you and send a lot of deep breaths.
ReplyDeleteYou're amazing! These are all legitimate things to be concerned about. But you and Apollo have so much love to give and you'll make it work. I can't wait to see how this next part of your family building evolves!
ReplyDeleteA second adoption *is* so much weightier. So weighty for us that we can't even decide which form of adoption to pursue! Good luck this time around :)
ReplyDeleteThis post so resonates for me. It can be such a difficult time relationship-wise, and exciting possibility-wise. And especially this wondering: "is it possible to love another human being THIS MUCH???"
ReplyDeleteI'm excited for you on all counts! And adding 3000 more good wishes to Mel's and the others'.
Well, you're about as sure as you need to be really. You don't need to be 150% sure - you are just ready to trust that your child will find you.
ReplyDelete